Pages

Thursday 10 June 2010

A New Quaker This Way Comes - Hannah Gilpin 1800


I appreciate that not everyone is a lover of bright Quakers, so I thought those of you who prefer more muted shades would really love stitching Hannah Gilpin's sampler of 1800. This sampler is in the private collection of a friend. Hannah Gilpin is scholar number 1995 and is registered as coming from Colebrook-Dale to Ackworth in 1798 where she remained just two years. There is a fine darning sampler by her at Ackworth school dated 1798. Also at Ackworth are 4 samplers by her older sister Ann Gilpin. We expect to have this sampler ready for you to download early next week. Again Janice at Traditional Stitches has volounteered to provide kits for those who would like them.
Here is Colebrook-Dale (now Coalbrookdale) home to the Industrial Revolution in the UK as it looked in Hannah's time. You can see the famous Iron Bridge in the distance spanning the River Severn romantically named after the Brythonic godess Sabrina. It is a wonderful place in a stunning part of the country and I have blissful (and somewhat muddy) memories of walking the length of the Severn with the family and staying at the luxurious Youth Hostel in Ironbridge, formerly the Literary and Scientific Institute located on a hill aptly called Paradise! Ironbridge Museum has a Costume Project and you can see images of the costumes here. Do visit if you are in the area.

8 comments:

  1. I'm going to have to have this one. Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh now that's a pretty one! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this sampler very much. Yesterday I bought this colour yarn and I didn't have a project for it. Maybe this is it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I did say Hannah Wigham instead of Hannah Gilpin - twice! That's what you get when you are composing two talks and catching up with a blog simultaneously. It seems I am not an octopus brain! Thank you very much for telling me so I could make sure this confusion didn't run riot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, she is lovely! These colors are so soothing - and look almost like an original I have - a friendship sampler done by my friends in a round-robin and returned to me for the finishing touches! Love it!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh gosh, another beauty to add to my 'must-stitch-list'. They're all slowing down Mary Wigham dreadfully. I realised the other day that it's June already and I've stitched only one motif this year - shameful!
    Unless I've missed it, this seems to have no birds or animals, is that unusual? Must check in the book to see if I can find others.

    ReplyDelete
  7. She's wonderful! Can't wait. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Jaqueline! I love this one too! I wonder if I can do Sarah Harris and Hannah at the same time....along with my 40 other projects I have on the go....

    ReplyDelete